Thursday, February 28, 2013

Time flies

Today we have J's annual EI review. I can't believe that it has already been a year since I first called EI with concerns that J wasn't talking yet. Autism wasn't on our radar yet, I was simply calling about a possible speech delay. I made the initial call towards the end of last Feb., a little bit after his 15 month well visit. His pedi had said we would discuss calling EI if he still wasn't talking by his 18 month well check. I didn't want to wait that long and called the next week. I am glad I got the ball rolling when I did. By his 18 month visit we were discussing his red flags, and at 19 months he received his initial diagnosis.
So today all 4 of his therapists (SEIT, ST, OT and floortime family trainer), his psych consult (who oversees his ABA program), our service coordinator, and a county rep for EI will all be coming to our house. That is quite the team for one little 2 year old!
I always have mixed feelings about these meetings. On one hand I love hearing others gush over my sweet boy. On the other, I always dread the part where we have to highlight and discuss all of his delays and the milestones he's not reaching. I know that last part is necessary to continue all of his services, but that doesn't make it any easier to hear. However I know we will also celebrate all of the progress J had made over the last year. That is the part I will focus on. And I really want to write a nice long post to let everyone know about all he has accomplished. I will definitely do that later. Right now I need to do some cleaning to get this place ready for all of out visitors! ;)


2 comments:

  1. Congratulations on your pregnancy!! I miss reading updates on you guys, I hope all is well!

    ReplyDelete